HOW TO DEAL WITH WRITING CHALLENGES THAT WRITERS FACE


#Writing Challenges

Frankly speaking, writing is one of the communicating skills that many people are grappling to acquire even among the educated one. Why is it so?
I discovered this when I was in my 100 Level in the University. When you hear some of the students speaking (QUEEN'S English) while interacting among themselves, you will be impressed. But if you tell them to turn all their conversations into writing, then and only then, you will know that what makes a complete man is the ability to write.
Being a writer is quite challenging at times. It’s not just the writing. Over the last three years, I’ve written many articles for publication, built my platform, worked on my blog posts (at least four times a week), and now I continue to write in the area of  creative writing  and contemporary issues.
My writing challenges vary and can be more or less on any given day, but they generally fall into five categories.
1. Distractions, when the kids, husband or wife seem helpless. They really are not.
2. Feeling overwhelmed, when the demands are more than I can handle some days.
3. When the INSPIRATION to write does not come or debating on your mind on what to write.
4. Feelings, when readers share their personal stories and my heart aches for what they’re going through.
5. Negative feedback, when a mistake is made (and they happen to everybody) or when someone doesn’t understand my message or completely disagrees.
In response to these challenges, and with a lot of trial and error, I use a couple of techniques to help me stay the course and keep writing.
 
Stack the deck.
A good friend of mine, who also happens to be seasoned reporter for a national newspaper, gave me this simple technique of mentally stacking the deck into my personal success plan.
How I stack my deck: I make sure there is nothing that will distract my attention. I go to a quiet place and sit down with my computer or journal and my favorite coffee drink or a tea. I say my meditations in the morning and work out to get the oxygen flowing. I wear an outfit I feel good in. I turn off my cell phone and set a limit as to how many emails I can check before I dive in.
 
Build a personal firewall.
A computer uses a firewall to protect against virus attacks so why not create a mental firewall for yourself?] This book, Stop Giving It Away, covers boundaries and how to use them to make life better and less stressful. Your firewall is one of the most powerful boundaries you can put into place considering the energy, creativity and commitment that goes into everything you write.
How my firewall works: It’s a simple visualization where I put myself into a glass phone booth and type away, no matter what sounds go on around me.
Your firewall might be a closed door, a mantra that reminds you of why you write, or a simple, “No, I am working right now and can’t be disturbed. Please help yourself.”
My firewall protects me from getting discouraged by that post that doesn’t have any comments or the person who completely disagrees with my ideas.
What other challenges do you face as a writer? You can add your own experiences to the lists above by commenting in the box below.
Keep your writing spirit alive. Cheers!

Comments

  1. A nice topic for reading... thanks for sharing the information with us it’s really appreciable...
    Research Proposal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please drop your comments here in this box.

Popular posts from this blog

7 Ways to Keep Your Website or Blog Content Fresh

3 Common Mistakes Bloggers Make ...And Why It Stops Them from Making Money

Writing: How To Focus With Your Dream