My Journey As A Writer










  













#Writer's Life

Many years ago, I was listening to a local radio station –Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Co-operation, a State-own Broadcasting station situated in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in Nigeria. An article written by my elderly brother, Valentine Ekpo, was aired on the radio by a veteran Broadcaster Mr. William William in his deep bass-voice after the news recap.
Mr. William William, who anchored that particular news segment known as Today’s commentary mentioned my brother’s name as a writer of the commentary. Having listened to the commentary, something popped-up in my mind that, I will love to be a good writer, so that I can contribute to writing articles that could be also aired on the radio too.

Of course, the burning desire to accomplish this dream set me on the motion. My foray into writing started when I was still a young boy. I started writing some interesting articles about corruption, social ills in the society, and immoral decadences among the youths. Having finished writing these articles, I will give them to my brother to look at it and do some necessary corrections being a good writer.
Through my brother’s tutelage, the nitty-gritty that concerning writing was really exposed to me. For example, through him, I learned how to use concord, tenses, and how to organized flowing streams of ideas or thoughts into writing in a chronological sequence. More so, he took me on how to arrange the paragraph and to link them with one another bla… bla… bla… .

Armed with this writing skill, my writings took a dramatic shape, as I was able to start writing articles effortlessly. When he discovered that my writing has improved tremendously, he advised me to keep on writing and filed up all my write-ups for record purposes.
Nevertheless, great writers like late Prof. Chinua Achebe and James Hardly Chase have influenced my writing a lot. Achebe, the literary icon, being a good story-teller had explored his narrative techniques in such a way that the readers will find his novel very quite interesting and colourful. His narrative style is well appreciated in his masterpiece Things Fall Apart

 Also, Hardly Chase is being noted for thrilling his readers with a literary device such as suspense. The writer in all his literary works give able to give a vividly forensic description of progressive events in his story writing, that catches the attention of his readers, and forces them to yearn for more reading.
The passion for become a writer pushed me into the world of writing. As a newbie in writing, I wrote my first published article with the title “What has happened to the love of neighbour” in 1998. The article was published in a Youth Chronicle, a publication of Youth’s bulletin of a Church. I was so particular happy about my giant stride in writing.

Moving a step further to the realm of creative writing, I took a course in the English department, while I was in the University. The course title was creative writing. The main aim of the course was to groom students on how to showcase their talent, creativity and confident in literary writings.
At the end of the course, our Lecturer told us that we have to practicalize on what we were taught in that course. The course actually exposed me to how to write in aesthetics and creative manner. This gave birth to my short story titled “The pains of mind”, which I also published on my blog at http://kufekpo.blogpost.com.

 In my local Church, I have been contributing to writing a lot of write-ups that have been published monthly in the church’s bulletin. Based on my writing contributions for the publication, I was appointed an Editor of the Editorial Team of the church. The position I have been holding since three years ago. Frankly, accepting such a post was quite challenging and rewarding to me.
The zeal to continue in creative writing spurred me to start a blog in Google+ blog. I carved out my niche in creative writing that centers on humanity, business, and lifestyle. The blog that was launched in the month of February 2015 has many readerships. Within a few days that I started blogging, I posted a blog titled “Blog on: give the world a piece of your heart”.

Interestingly, the post became popular that attracted the highest readership then. As if that was not exciting enough, I dropped another blog post titled what is your name?” To my greatest surprising, this post has become the most viewed post by my teeming readers and eventually became the most popular post ever since it has been published.
My blog readers have increased steadily and the traffic source showed that apart from Nigerians, many other foreign nationals from other countries like USA, Germany, India, Indonesia, Ghana, Italy, South Africa, just a few to mention visit my website day in, day out. This, of course, has given more vibes and more inspirations to write daily.

Initially, I was thinking that this love project –blogging will be a flop because I was worried about where to get contents for my blog posting. However, that fear vanished immediately when I read a book written by one Mohammed Tosin Abdullahi, another young Nigerian writer, who has made a distinguished mark in writing.
In Tosin’s book Your right to write he x-rayed the secrets of writing. According to this writer, the secrets of writing lie within the mindset of a writer. To cap it all, he said “you must get it right, in terms of tactics of composition, rules of grammar, and techniques of audience engagement. This fired up my writings since then. Any time the inspiration comes; I will just on my computer and started writing.

Looking at in the next few years, I envisaged myself not only flying but make an indelible mark in the field of creative writing. I am working so hard and strongly looking forward to publishing my books in the coming years.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Ways to Keep Your Website or Blog Content Fresh

3 Common Mistakes Bloggers Make ...And Why It Stops Them from Making Money

Writing: How To Focus With Your Dream